This is something I started making when we began having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. I like sweet potatoes, but not the candied stuff with marshmallows on it. This recipe uses apricot nectar and sugar to make a nice glaze that’s flavorful but not too sweet.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, boiled
- 1 cup sucanat
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes
- Boil sweet potatoes until tender. It’s easy to do this the day before, that way prep time on Thanksgiving day is around 10 minutes.
Place cooked, sliced sweet potatoes in a 9×13 baking dish. In a saucepan, combine sucanat, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Stir in apricot nectar, water and orange peel. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (a whisk comes in handy here), for two minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and walnuts. Pour glaze over sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.